The Chef Essentials course provides a basic understanding of Chef’s core components, basic architecture, commonly used tools, and basic troubleshooting methods.
Learn the basics of Chef by taking Chef Essentials.
Each of the core units includes hands-on exercises that will give you confidence in your new skills. At the end of the course, you’ll come away with a repo and the skills to start automating your own infrastructure.
- Learn what it means to turn infrastructure into code so that you can automate the configuration, deployment and management of your servers.
- You’ll also learn about Chef architecture and the set of tools included in the Chef Development Kit (ChefDK). Finally, we’ll show you how to test your infrastructure code so that you can deploy with confidence
- Chef Resources
- Testing Cookbooks
- Ohai and the Node Object
- Data Abstraction
- Workstation Installation
- The Chef Server
- Community Cookbooks
- Managing Multiple Nodes
- Further resources
Delegates will make the most of the class if they are comfortable with:
- Writing code (of just about any flavour) in a text editor
- Working on the command line
- Performing basic system administration – installing packages, configuring those packages, starting services